Sunday, January 11, 2009

Ready To Be Cleaned!


The dismantling process of my lambretta engine is what I can say as not an easy task, due to a rusted part and parts that is stuck together for quit a long time has contributed to the level of difficulties in dismantling all the engine parts. I don’t have any experience in dismantling either lambretta or vespa engine before and as far as I’m concerned the only two wheels vehicle that I’ve ever dismantle all the body parts is my bicycle when I was small! Therefore, being able to learn this process is a very good knowledge for my future undertakings (well, at least to fix it up again if nobody is around me!) The lambretta engine parts is actually covered by the engine casing which look like butterfly cocoon, inside the casing you will find the clutch plate, tranmission gears, drive chain and all sorts of small things that i cant even remember the names. Suprisingly according to Mat DH, my piston and con rod is still in good condition and i dont have to replace them, however, the kick starter shaft of my engine has been weld to the casing and this make us unable to take off the starter pedal.

After all the parts inside the engine casing has been take out and arranged in one place, i bring the engine to Maju Jaya Motor in Sg. Besi in order to replace the rubber mount of the engine. According to Uncle Chai of Maju Jaya Motor, he could not find the originals lambretta rubber mount and replace it with rubber mount that is usually used for cars, he told me that this rubber mount will work better than the original and last longer, in the end i have to pay him RM110 for getting and fixing the rubber mount to my engine (Can't do it myself as the process need to use a special machine). Another thing that Maju Jaya done to my engine is to reweld the kickstarter shaft and replace it with the new one, not original but made in India.

All the parts like trasmission gears, chain, con rod, piston, clutch plate that i've already arranged in one place is cleaned using petrol and special chemical called engine degreaser which you can buy at Hardware Shop. There are several "wear and tear" parts that i have to purchase like needle bearing, clutch plate and not forgetting all the engine bearings which i plan to replace it with the new one as i dont even know when is the last time the previous owner replace all the bearings.

No comments:

Post a Comment